May 27, 2005

Coffee talk

Today is my last day of work. Well, here anyway. Yee ha!

We had a team breakfast this morning, wherein we all ate coffeecake and looked at slides, that I'm sure contained important business information, but nobody paid attention to them. We just directed our eyes towards the board, and thought about how much fat was in the doughnut we were chewing.

Being the good and dedicated employee I am, I stopped at Panera this morning to buy a coffeecake to bring in for everyone. I am so nice. I had Jenna with me, so as I was loading her into the carseat, I set the coffeecake on the roof of my car--I'm sure you already see where this is going. I got Jenna buckled in, hopped in my car, and took off. I went through the parking lot, so as to avoid getting on the freeway, then turned on to the feeder road. As I accelerated, I noticed a white box flying off the back of my car. SHIT! It was the coffeecake. Of course. Once so precariously perched upon the roof of my car, it was now gracing the feeder road of SH249. Looking in my rearview mirror, I assessed the damage: no coffeecake on feeder road, box seems to be intact, hmmmm...So I did what any other crafty girl would have done, I took my first right, drove through a parking lot, and waited to re-enter the feeder road--right by my coffeecake.

As I sat in the right-hand lane, waiting to turn, I chanted, "Please don't run over it! Please don't run over it!" to all the passing cars. And no one did. People, this box made it through morning traffic, without a scratch! When it was my turn, I threw the car in Park, ran out into the street, and grabbed my coffeecake.

As I drove Jenna to the sitter's, I inspected the contents. Everything was fine. That box had made a clean leap off my roof, landed right-side up, and the coffeecake never knew what happened.

Got to work, set the coffeecake on the table, and everybody ate it up.

Moral of the story: Panera makes durable coffeecake.

8 comments:

DBFrank said...

I have lost so many coffee cups that way..they do not survive, however.

Anonymous said...

I have lost many-a-item that way. None quite so durable as the coffee cake.

WordWhiz said...

And durable coffee cake boxes!!

Kim said...

lol, I wish I had a dollar for every item I've left on my roof...

Anonymous said...

I lost my wallet that way at a gas station. I have no excuse because I dont have a child to be responsible for.
-Nikki

Anonymous said...

i lost a bag of trash that way. it wasn't my own trash. it was the trash of someone i was hot for. i did the "sleep over" thing and wetook the trash to the dumpster in the morning. the trash didn't make it. neither did the person i was hot for. hahahaha!

Anonymous said...

I lost a week old Coach coin purse/wallet that way. I was pumping gas, rested wallet on top of car, then took off.
The wallet was a grad. present so no real money loss for me except the cash I had in the wallet. That made me learn my lesson and now I am always car-top items paranoid

Kiley said...

So how goes life woman? Give us an update! :-)