May 6, 2005

It's finally here?

Is it really and truly Friday? This has been the longest week ever. By Tuesday, I was ready for it to be over. Actually, I was ready for it to be over Sunday night, when I came to the realization that the next day was Monday. Doesn't work just suck? I mean, don't get me wrong, I love my job, the people I work with aren't so bad (except for a select few), and the pay's decent, but ugh! Just the fact that I HAVE to work is what makes it so horrible. Also, seeing that it is absolutely gorgeous outside, and for the first time in YEARS, Houston is actually having some semblance of a "Spring," makes me want to be outside contracting more skin cancer. But, alas! Baby needs a new pair of shoes.

This week, I have attended 6 meetings, all of which were boring as mud and actually decreased my mental capacity by a large margin. On Wednesday, I had a meeting to discuss what topics to discuss in the next meeting. I gain nothing from these meetings. Well, I do learn a few little things, thereby making me a veritable fountain of useless knowledge. Yesterday, I learned:

-There are 72 ceiling tiles in meeting room BC091A.
-If I sit with my right leg crossed over my left, with my right leg pressed against the table, it makes a HUGE crease in my leg.
-The carpet has a coffee stain near the left wall.
-I can answer a question, even when I have NO IDEA what the conversation is about.
-9 people had coffee, 1 had water (me).

Meetings. What a fabulous waste of time!

5 comments:

DBFrank said...

The Dilbert syndrome. Having a pre-meeting to plan the meeting.
I had a pre-review two weeks ago, to tell me I was due for my annual review the following week.
Which I still haven't had.
Got to love the mindset of some managers.

Robin said...

Thank you for reminding why I left the paying workforce. I hated meetings, hated them, hated them, hated them. They never had a real purpose, never came to any real resolutions, and I could never turn down the doughnuts!

stewbie2 said...

Oh, Mike. You hit the nail on the head with the "usual suspects" comment. There's always one that WILL NOT shut his trap.

Anonymous said...

Meetings. Sweet Mother of Jesus, I hate them, too. We often has meetings about what we met about a week ago--just to 'confirm' everyone understood. I agree, they make them just to feel like they are worth what they are paid.

Kiley said...

I had 2 meetings that sucked this afternoon, too. Mike DID sum it all up with "the usual suspects"; at my institute, those happen to be the 3 fellas I describe on my blog as "the Axis of Evil".