Mar 24, 2005

Skirt steak

One of my lovely, talented friends wrote a poem in which she said skirts were anathemic. They kind of are--unless they're shredded denim which barely covers your pre-pubescent ass. I'm not wearing one of those. "Those" meaning a scrap of denim that has been altered into a tube to cover 3/4 of your ass cheeks--leaving the other 1/4 exposed to the public. I only wear those kinds of things when I'm Swiffering my floor, wearing pigtails, and a white wife-beater with no bra. Just kidding. I can't wear pigtails--my hair's too short.

Seeing what girls are wearing these days just scares the bejeezus out of me. By the time my kids are teenagers, what's going to be deemed "cool"? I mean, by visiting any local mall, we are bombarded by views of teenaged-girls' thong panties peeping out from miniscule skirts, and pants that are so low-rise they don't even have to unzip to pee. It's ridiculous. Girls flaunt themselves around like they're a piece of meat. I'm not saying they have to avoid fashion, but come on! What I can't believe is that their parents let them BUY that stuff. Face it--if you see a 13-year-old girl wearing an Abercrombie scrap of material, with butt-floss showing, where did she get it? Her PARENTS had to give her the money for it. I realize that this isn't always 100% true, but it's definitely worth arguing about. I can't help it--I see these little girls wearing stuff like that and I immediately think "whore." In fact, I've seen real-life whores wearing more clothing than what I see on kids at the mall. How sad is that?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally sad. I weep for what our little girls might be wearing then.

It's also sad that skirts are anathema, but they really *are* ya know? Even I feel like an old fogey when I put on a black skirt, tee length, with little red flowers on it to go with a red sweater and red shoes. I feel like the kids at college are looking at me thinking "I hope I don't get old and uncool."

Ah well!

Anonymous said...

Totally sad. I weep for what our little girls might be wanting to wear. (I say wanting because neither of us sure as shit are gonna be allowing that kind of BS)

It's also sad that skirts are anathema, but they really *are* ya know? Even I feel like an old fogey when I put on a black skirt, tee length, with little red flowers on it to go with a red sweater and red shoes. I feel like the kids at college are looking at me thinking "I hope I don't get old and uncool."

Ah well!

stewbie2 said...

Hi Mike. I enjoy your site! Glad you stopped by.

Arvin Hill said...

Don't worry so much. Given sociopolitical trends, by the time your kids are teens, corsets & bustles might just be compulsory.

Kiley said...

Yeah i know what you mean stewbie...when I was a kid that age, I sure as HELL wasn't dressing like that; it seems like many kids in the current generation are...as some people say..."growing up too fast", but it seems to me more like the breeding age is just getting lower and lower. And...they wonder why we are going to have issues with social security? ;-)