Sep 30, 2009

OH, Sweet baby Jesus. She's EIGHT.

Jenna,
Here we are...today is your EIGHTH birthday! I can't believe it. Time has gone by so very quickly, and here you are, an 8-year old. It's a special day for both of us: You, because you're celebrating your birthday; and me, because another year has gone by where I haven't ended up in a straight jacket because of your sassy attitude. Congrats to us both!

This past year has been an amazing one for you. You've learned so much, and have developed into a spectacular young girl. You are extremely quirky; that's what I love about you the most. You play how you want, sing how you want, do what you want--you don't care how "odd" other people might find your actions. You know what? That's what makes you an awesome kid. You DON'T "go with the flow." You carve your own path.

There are no words that can say how proud I am of you. You've got a powerful trifecta, baby: brains, attitude, and beauty. I'm doing my best to help you grow into a confident and capable young woman, but you're at that age where being humble is still being learned. You'll tell me, "I'm a genius" or "I'm the smartest one in my class." Both of those may be true, but you can't just say that. I tell you to, "Say those things in your head--not out of your mouth." At least you're confident!

Since you've been two, you've told everyone that will listen that you are going to be a zooligist, specializing in big cats. Still, that remains your dream. You're convinced that you're going to do a college internship in Namibia at the Cheetah Conservation Fund. Your goal is to save the cheetahs from extinction. You know what? I don't doubt that you will.

There is only one word to describe you: AMAZING. And it still doesn't give you the justice you deserve.

The world is not ready for you, girl.


You are my heart.
xoxox,
Mommy




3 comments:

Amy said...

Damn - these always make me cry!!!! I can't believe she is eight - crazy. It seems like just yesterday when I met the pregnant lady that lived across the street :)

Anonymous said...

oh steph, i so look forward to these every year.

do you remember having dinner with karyn at einstein's and i asked you if you wanted kids? you said you were working on that:)

oh gosh, and i still remember when she was born and i talked to you on the phone. you gave her the most beautiful name!

it's been such a blessing to watch you steer through motherhood. thank you so much for allowing me to be here:)

xoxoox
jeni

stewbie2 said...

Jeni,
I DO remember that day! :) My Jenna is such a blessing--thanks for tagging along on my adventures with her!