Aug 21, 2007

New house. Kind of.

Well, we closed on the other house yesterday. At the moment, and until August 31st, i am the proud owner of 2 houses. Right after we closed, we drove over to the new house. "New" to us, but built in 1975, so nearly as old as I am. Things looked much dirtier than i remembered. I guess when you move out all the furniture that was in there, you can see how shitty the paint job was (indeed, quite shitty), and how dirty the carpet is (ick). Then you REALLY start looking around, and you notice how MUCH needs to be repainted and how MUCH needs to be redone, and then you also realize how much money this is going to take and start to imagine the size of the nervous breakdown you're going to have. Oh well...i still love the house; it's just going to be more work than i originally anticipated. I'm going over there tonight to start cleaning. And by cleaning, i mean i'm whipping out the old toothbrush and the bobby pin so that I can clean every crevice in the floor. Hey, there will be NO dirt in that house that is not MY dirt.

I'm definitely looking forward to it, though. I love cleaning, and I'm excited to make this house mine. You know what i'm NOT looking forward to, though? Cleaning the bottom kitchen cabinets. The ones over the counter are okay, but the ones that are on the bottom?...ewwww...for some random reason, they just gross me the hell out. Funny thing: SMM was checking them out, and under the contact paper is what must be the original contact paper from the 70s. It is quite a sight. I'll have to take pictures.

The carpet/flooring man is coming on Wednesday to give us a quote on new carpet and hardwood floors. I'll feel much better when i feel like i can walk barefoot in the house, you know? It's not like the carpet is nasty or anything, but you can see dirt around the edges--know what I mean? The carpet that's in the living room is berber, but it's really worn, and apparently, was installed by a blind carpenter.

The wallpaper in the kitchen is SO Miami Vice. It's white, textured, and has these little grey/turquoise/pink designs on it. It rocks beyond explanation. In order to try to kill the feeling that you must put on a grey jacket and skinny tie when you enter the kitchen, the previous owners felt the need to put up a totally non-matching flowery border along the top. NICE. It's like, when generations collide, or something. It's so ugly, you can't even be mad about it. I just laugh. Oh, oh...and the countertops...oh my. They're white tile, and the man must have been blind with only 1 limb. HORRIBLE. Again I laugh. Ha ha ha.

But seriously, this house is major. I love it!

1 comment:

natalie said...

Glad to see you are back and blogging. I find them to be so very entertaining. :-)